Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Mechanical Drawings on Fabric, Yep Amazing

Mechanical Drawings on Fabric, yep amazing. I got my CAD Degree in 1999 at MiraCosta College, Oceanside,CA. My Professor was full time Head of the Dept Mr. Ted Handsink. He taught design and drafting for over 25 years there. He must of have been in his 70's at that time. He had wonderful stories about designs and manufacturing. He also had a full time Assistant, a women that Red Lined all our Drawings, she was strict! Thank goodness.

Mr Handsink had worked at many Fortune 500 companies included GE, Boeing and NASA. He owned a Blueprint Company, at that time, in Oceanside,CA.

He would tell us stories about making full size, 1:1 drawings on cotton fabric at Boeing in Long Beach,CA. They were then rolled up for storage. When prototype parts were made, they would lay them over the fabric drawings for 1st article inspections. Sometimes if mistakes were found, they would add a patch and sew over the incorrect area then redraw it.

Of the 50 or 60 students that entered the program, myself and about 8 others were the only students to complete the program and get our degrees.

Mr. Hansink's two sons were ProE Consultants at that time. He mentored me, and encouraged me to be a CAD Consultant. Thanks to his excellent advice and teaching, that dream came true for me.

Mr. Handsink retired the year I graduated. He moved to Colorado and built his dream house. I lost contact with him, but I'll always remember him as one of my favorite teachers.

Thanks to Develop3D for posting this photo on twitter.

Cheers!
Devon Sowell
CarlsbadCAD
sowelldevon@gmail.com
760 809 9046

No comments:

Post a Comment